WE ARE BORO ANNUAL SHORT STORY COMPETITION 2019
Love writing? Love Boro? Why not combine the two? We’re looking for short stories of 3,000 words or less, based in and around Middlesbrough Football Club and the Riverside Stadium.
Stories can be:
Fiction – let your imagination run riot.
True Life – tell us the story of a real-life event, your true experiences, relating real facts about real people and real events.
Creative Non-Fiction – have full creative licence to tell a story based on real-life, but embellished, poetic, combining several different events into one story, with a mix of characters that might include some based on real people, but also some that you create.
Free to enter and open to everyone aged 16 or over, terms and conditions apply.
Submit your story by midnight on 30th September 2019 for a chance to be shortlisted. The judges’ twenty favourite stories will be published in this year’s paperback anthology to be produced by Sixth Element Publishing.
Prizes will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd placed stories.
CLOSING DATE: Midnight 30th September 2019
Submitting Your ‘We Are Boro’ Story
To submit your story, download (right click and save) the entry form below:
ENTRY FORM: WE ARE BORO Entry Form
Fill it out digitally using Word and then send it, along with your story, to:
You will receive a confirmation e-mail. If you have not received this within 7 working days please contact Sixth Element Publishing.
Terms and Conditions WE ARE BORO Short Story Competition
• All submissions to be 3000 words maximum, no minimum; the title is not included in the word count.
• All submissions must be in English.
• All submissions must be the original work of the author, must not have been published before the closing date and must be accompanied by a copy of the entry form, containing the author’s name, address, telephone number and email address.
• Submissions must not contain content that is defamatory in any way, invades privacy, is obscene, illegal or otherwise inappropriate.
• All submissions are judged anonymously; do not include your name on the document.
• Deadline for submissions is 12 midnight on 30th September 2019.
• Submissions received after the closing date will not be considered.
• Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
• Only submissions in MS Word format, Times New Roman Font in font size 12 point and double spaced will be accepted.
• The judges’ decision is final and no individual correspondence will be entered into.
• Judging is fair and unbiased.
• All shortlisted stories will go through an edit process involving collaboration between the author and Sixth Element Publishing, whereupon Sixth Element Publishing retains final editorial control.
• Copyright remains with the author but shortlisted authors grant non-exclusive first publishing rights to Sixth Element Publishing for the story to be published in the WE ARE BORO Anthology to be published before the end of 2019 and any subsequent volumes. Shortlisted authors will receive an author’s copy of the anthology and will be able to purchase further author copies at 50% off RRP.
• By entering, all entrants licence Sixth Element Publishing to edit, publish and use each entry in any and all media (including print and online) for publicity and news purposes relating to this competition.
• Entrants must be aged sixteen or over.
• Keep a copy of your entry, submissions cannot be returned.
• Only one submission per person will be considered.
SUBMISSION OF ENTRY IMPLIES ACCEPTANCE OF ALL THE RULES
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE RULES MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION