Launching your own book can be as simple as listing it for sale on Amazon and giving free copies to all your friends. Or your launch can be as exciting or daunting as you decide you want to make it. If you decide you do want a launch with all the bells and whistles, then there are a ton of things you can do.
Before your book is published, you can spend six months promoting it with facebook ads, tweets, interviews in local newspapers and on local radio, on your own website and blog, and hopefully reviews from bloggers and vloggers you’ve sent review copies to. If you don’t want to do this before your book comes out, there’s no reason why you can’t do some or all of it once you have your book in your hands.
Once it is published, book launch events vary from low key private events for family and friends, to big public functions that you promote, to bookshop signings that are promoted for you. This is when you start to need stuff. What you need is as long as a piece of string and depends totally on your budget. This list is not exhaustive but is listed in a kind of rough priority of what might be a good idea.
1. Bookmarks These are great as you can give them away free. People who are readers always love a free bookmark. And you can put them in any books you sell or give away.
2. Business cards These are useful to have in your pocket for those times when people ask what you do. A writer’s business card doesn’t have to be a stuffy business-type business card. A image of your book cover on one side with your contact details, website and links on where to find the book online on the other works really well.
3. Posters These are good if you’re hosting a launch event. Ask the venue to put them up well in advance.
4. Pop up banner These are also good if you’re hosting a launch event at a venue or bookstore. They are eye-catching from a distance and they can promote your book even when you’re not there.
5. T-shirts, pens, mugs, lanyards, beermats, wristbands, USB cards… The list is endless. The main thing to ask yourself is where are you going to sell these or give them away. If you are planning on doing a lot of author talks or events, then having stuff to give away is always fun. Just make sure you set a budget, decide what you’re happy to spend and stick to it.
As well as book publishing, we have tons of experience in design, print and marketing. If you’re interested in our starter pack of author promo stuff, check it out here or give us a call on 01642 360253.